Sunday, July 27, 2008

WATER SPOUTS AND SHOUT OUTS!!!

Time to catch up with you guys. What a week!!! Great workouts... Tremendous weather, even on an eventful Tuesday and I raced again.

Tuesday at Fairport Harbor, we set out to swim the .4 miles to the breakwall and back. Plenty of kayaks and even a ski-doo!! So, the whole gang zipped out to the wall... And the rains came real hard. Pellets. We headed back to shore. One swimmer glanced back and realized there were some "WATER SPOUTS!!!!. Holy h20!!! Plus some thunder in the distance. So we hustled back.. Ski-Doo hauled me the final 50 yards and the heavens opened. So much for a longer swim. Thats cool. No problem. I had to race to Berea and do a story on what Browns fans can bring to Browns camp, and The Bride was returning from a little trip to see her sister down south.

Thursday, my son Pat and I swam at Wildwood with Brandon H. The lake was spitting us out like a wash cycle but it was invigorating. Later, we headed to North Chagrin for a strong 1 hour run. Pat was feeling the effects (Rocketpants, and Matt C., you'll like this) of a Cross-fit workout he did in Houston. But he loosened up. I have to struggle to keep up with him.

Friday, a long, hard 2 hour bike ride to North Chagrin. Rode the steep hill out of the lower section a couple times....was really cranking.

Also, on Friday, I was sent this picture.

This is Dawud. (pronounced Dah-wood). He is the little guy I am swimming for this Sunday in the Cleveland Triathlon. I have not met him or his family. I will get to see him Sunday morning before the race. I got a link to Dawud's donation page **Click here** As I write this, the story I did on a mother of a child with cerebral palsy, Kristen Minnick is running in our ten pm news. Kristen will do the whole sprint tri (her first) and she will take 3 year old Julia, her daughter with C.P. along on the bike and run. Kristen was inspired to do this after meeting Dick Hoyt. I am excited for Kristen and for all the families who have kids with C.P. that are taking part in the race. It should be a blast.

Raced Fairport Harbor this morning. 500 meter swim. 13 mile bike, 3 mile run. It also added a kayak option instead of swim. Its a longtime sprint tri with very good support and a super nice price. 20 bucks pre-race..25 on race day. Beat that!!!! Saw Matt C. and Jen C. Saw Betty, who is an ultra runner and was doing the bike portion. Met Sam and Joe of Shaker, who just finished Ironman Lake Placid. "Way to go!!! Eddie Police raced and did very well. The Maruts cleaned up as usual. Lots of strong racers and a tremendous turnout..Close to 300!!!

This was a very strong effort on my part for the second week in a row. The swim was a real brawl for the first 80 yards, but worked its way out before long. Don't know how I placed. When I find out, I will update and also, a friend shot a couple pics and I will post them. I am really feeling better on the bike and as Bigun says...its alllll about the bike!!! I did not use a wetsuit for the second straight week. Transitions were very tight and I didn't need much time to get somewhat fresh legs on the run. I saw Joe Rodriguez, longtime racer and former high school swim coach on the run course and caught him about a mile or so in..and then finished strong the last mile. Total time was 1:17:55. Not sure on placing but we will see. My son, Pat raced as well.... 1:13:00....I don't think I will ever be able to take him!!!

Of course, no triathlon race goes un-rewarded. Pat raced to the store and bought the fixings, and I made ..ohh...about 10 pieces of French Toast. Nothing beat French Toast and Log Cabin syrup. The Bride even had a piece or two. Now, its 10:30pm and I go on the air in a short bit. Its been a long day, but a good one.. This coming week will be even better.
Life's a Blast.

22 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Wow, cool - a kayak option!?! That's pretty different - but very neat.

Congrats on the finish!

Tea said...

That's a fantastic time.

btw-Tracie did her first tri. I didn't see her name mentioned in your list. So, I don't know if you read her blog. Her race report is awesome.

http://traciestriadventures.blogspot.com/2008/07/fairport-harbor-race-report.html

Marcy said...

I don't know JT. Those times looks pretty darn close. I think you can take him! You're already giving him a run for his money ;-)

Matt Collister said...

Good to race with you yesterday. What a perfect morning. Afterwards, Jen and I had breakfast with my mom and dad at a little diner just outside of the park. You ought to see Jen clean up the pancakes, eggs and sausage!

Kevin said...

Yeah nothing like a water spout to make you swim faster. Congrats on another great race

Unknown said...

Thanks for putting a face to the name of the guy you're swimming for. That is awesome!!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

You may never take your son in a race, but you definitely brought him to the sport! That's inspiration enough in my book!

tracie said...

great race! sorry i missed you but i'm sure one of these days we will finally 'run' into each other at an event.

i can't wait for the race report following the cleveland triathlon this weekend! i'm am so proud of everyone participating for such an amazing cause!!!

keep up all the great workouts! :)

Wes said...

Another solid effort. If you put a training plan into place, you can do more than 10 pieces of French Toast ;-)

Lily on the Road said...

Wow, I don't know JT, you just may beat Pat one of these days.

Good Luck racing for Dawud this weekend. You will be a diamond in his day for sure! Making sweet memories for him...

We've had some water spouts too! And our river is much smaller than where you were, so I can only imagine how scarey that was!!

BTW, we have a Kayak portion in some of our Tri events up here too! They are really fun to watch!

Brian said...

I always debate on wetsuits for sprints. looks like a fun time

allanjel said...

Nice job. The weather was perfect. I really enjoyed the tri yesterday. I know you commented on my blog before and wanted to say "thanks." Hopefully, we will meet one of these days. Congrats to your son too.

Kim said...

Great pic of Dawud!! Good luck with your race on Sunday! It's too bad it's the same weekend of Burning River, I wanted to invite you again out to our Aid Station!

Unknown said...

Great job again John and great job to Pat as well. Glad to hear your bike is coming along better too. Remember, the swim is just a warm up, the race starts on the bike!

See you at GCT

Bill

Marci said...

Water spouts... that must have been a sight!

JenC said...

You are a racing machine! Great job out there and good luck/have fun this weekend!

Oh, and Matt is mistaken. I don't like sausage - I'm a bacon girl all the way!

GetBackJoJo said...

You have such a good attitude about everything--about life! It's inspiring!

RunBubbaRun said...

Great job in the sprint tri, who needs a kayak...

Good luck this weekend at the tri, your are a racing machine right now. Life is good.

Christine said...

wow that is so neat!!!

SO what do Browns fans bring to browns camp? I'm getting excited to move back to Ohio so I can finally go to Browns games again!

jahowie said...

You're right about the Log Cabin syrup. Nothing compares. Sounds like you had a fantastic weekend. I can remember seeing a water spout once when we were at Cedar Point on a roller coaster. Kind of freaky. LOL!!

Benson said...

Hey, nice finish.
you really know how to pack in the fun...and the pancakes.

Viv said...

Congratulations JT! Solid time and great job to Pat as well. You had to say french toast, so making that for the gang tomorrow in honor of you :-)