Sunday, June 1, 2008

ACT LIKE A KID

Hi guys.. Great week of training. Capped it off with a 50 minute spin class this am, followed by a 40 minute run off. . I got into my running rythmn very easily..felt great. For the week. 3 upper body workouts. One leg routine. One swim, 2600 yards. Two long runs, 1 hour, 50 minutes, and 1 hour 45. Two Treadmill interval speed workouts. One rowing workout of 5,000 meters. Weather has been pretty good for biking but need to get cranking there. My Half Iron is in one month. I did not do the Edinboro Triathlon on Saturday. Dropping the volume of races and concentrating on some key ones, especially the 2 Half Irons. Have also dropped a few pounds. Throwing a deck chair off the Titanic , you think???? Ha!! The few pounds are making a difference. I hope to race the Half Iron at 182 lbs. We'll see.

Have you seen the ads on t.v.?? "The Perfect Pushup". Its one of the things our oldest son, Pat (Mr. second year triathlete) wanted for his 29th b-day. There he is testing that sucker out. Who would have thunk it??? The design is very cool and doing a push up, you really feel the muscles getting the benefit. I recommend it. Of course, twisted me has other uses for it.

Put them together and then on some heart attack victums chest. . Yes, its a defibrillator!!.. Heat up of those paddles, and yes....its an iron!!!!! There is no limit to what the Perfect Pushup can do. Got any more suggestions???

Props to Lily on the Road for finishing the Ottawa marathon!!! You have come a long way, there. Her blog is always upbeat..positive.

One of my long time friends Sandi, is beaming. Her son in law, Eric Bizjack ripped off a time of 3 hours 13 minutes at the Boston Marathon. There he is at mile 15, looking like he could run 15 more. Way to go, Eric.

Dr. Jodi at the Triple T. If you get a chance, drop my her blog and read her accounts of the wild weekend of racing down in Southern Ohio. That event just looks like a killer but Jodi made it sound like such a cool event. Props to her and her training buddy Tony for the great job.

ACT LIKE A KID
Maybe you have heard that phrase. But, if I were to be truthful, I would say I try to act like a kid everyday. Stupid for someone approaching 55??? Some would say yes. But what I mean is to have that youthful zest. That wide eyed wonder about whatever you seem to be doing. Recently, I got a reminder of what its like to have the enthusiasm. Jacob Liebler, a 7th grader came to the station and shadowed me a couple of days. He is all about sports and is a great student. He wants to become a sportscaster. It was so refreshing to chat with him and to see in his eyes, how excited he was to be at Fox 8. (Thats Jacob, anchor guy Lou Maglio in the middle and me. Notice my old school Timex Ironman watch??)) Jacob reminded me of how things were when I was his age. I lived and breathed sports. That love turned into a career and I can honestly say I haven't worked one day since I got into this business many moons ago. So, Jacob...thanks alot and best wishes. T.V. is a business for the young. Maybe I am just grooming my replacement.. Ohh and his dad is a triathlete-runner too!!!!

Finally, thanks to all who dropped comments on the blog and also sent e-mails about my most recent post on the Helping Hand. Life's a blast!! Happy training.

23 comments:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Great to finally catch up with some of your posts!!

Marcy said...

LMAO!! Those thingys really work?!? You know every time I see them on an infomercial I'm always like "Yeaahhh ok, whatever" I guess you just never know, now do you?

Honestly, I would have NEVER guessed you were approaching 55 :-) Really! Much younger! Keeping acting like a kid, it does you good!

Kurt said...

I was curious if they really work. Make sure you let us know if they are worth it.

So your going to age out of running my age group! Would have been one heck of race for cheesecake.

Rainmaker said...

In that photo Lou looks like a barbie doll. Neat photo though.

Anonymous said...

It's good to stay "young at heart."

Nice post :)

Unknown said...

The perfect pushup? How about someone who can barely do a girlie pushup? Would it work for me? Probably not. LOL

And yay for Jacob. Life through a kid's eyes is pretty amazing, isn't it?

Kevin said...

I just passed one of those in the store the other day. Maybe next time Ill pick it up.

Congrats on the weight loss.Every pound definitely makes a difference

RunBubbaRun said...

I always wondered if those high tech pushup devices will make you superstrong.. If so. I'll get some as well..

To be a kid again, maybe that is why we train so much sometimes..

Wes said...

I thought those push up thingees were a joke. I guess the Army made me "old school"! LOL!! Sounds like a great idea focusing on your HIMs this year!! Good luck getting down to your goal weight!!

Rachel said...

Your workouts are making me tired just reading about them! Keep up the great work!

Trishie said...

Hey thanks for stopping by! I'm bookmarking your page!

Lily on the Road said...

Isn't it great to be able live your passion? Good for Jacob to know what he wants to do with his life!!! And how wonderful for him to be able to shadow you! You made a lasting impression on him, I just know it. That's why you were given the Helping Hand. To allow others follow their dreams.

Thank you for the kind shout out about my Marathon and blog. I really appreciate it!

Ryan D said...

hey JT - thanks for stopping by my blog. you're a sportscaster? man, that is one sweet job!

rocketpants said...

Those push-up things always look a little funny, i'd be afraid I'd do something weird to my elbows...but then again, I probably would. Not very graceful.

Tea said...

OMG--you are so funny! I think somehow the Perfect Pushup and the Perfect Pancake are somehow related.....



(And, I loved your Helping hand post)

Viv said...

Great workouts TJ! I did'nt think you were 55 either, a triathlete has a way of looking young and strong :-)

Act like a kid is the best way to enjoy in life at times.

BreeWee said...

I so love the title, act like a kid! and I agree with Marcy, you are so not 55! Good medicine acting like a kid!

I LOVE the fact you hit the tready too for the intervals... way to go speedy! Super week!!

jahowie said...

That's great that you helped that kid out. Great job on the workouts!!

P.S.

Thanks for the congrats on my half. :-)

teacherwoman said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Looks like you had an awesome week of training! I saw those perfect pushup things at scheels and thought about buying them... have you tried them?

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I have thought about getting one of those Perfect Pushup things. Your recommendation is enough for me. I am rather twisted too.

Trishie said...

Oh yeah, and the girl with the entertainment lawyer dad who closed down Peachtree Street in Atlanta? My parents were just so cruel to me ... not getting a hip hop star to come to my parties .. sob. (that said, it IS an entertaining show ;))

GP said...

It's funny that you mentioned the defibrillator: when I first saw the photo I thought he was trying to resuscitate the ground.

But because I have never done the perfect push-up (but did hold the record in middle school!), I guess I wouldn't see the real picture.

And talk about refreshing: it's a thrill to hear about someone who likes his job, doesn't complain about his job and finds new avenues for appreciating his work. I think with life, work and training, there are people who find a way to love it all, and some people who just want credit for trudging through it all. Here's to the former!

Brian said...

Keep up the good work on the training. I've fallen off a cliff with my training. But I'm a great eater now if that helps any.