Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I'D LIKE A PILATES SANDWICH

This morning I had a Pilates Sandwich. Yep. Pilates. The Bride is an instructor.. So, with 2 Half-Ironman triathlons this summer, I concocted a wacky plan. The studio is in Willoughby. (Harmony Yoga Studios) The route I mapped out is 8.9 miles. I figured, I would rip off an 8.9 miler...arrive in time.. change into drier clothes..do the one hour Pilates class, then put the shoes back on and run 8.9 miles back home. You know, the runs would be the slices of bread and pilates, the Meat!!! An 18 mile day..with body contortions!!! Exciting, huh!!!!!!!
Pitch black, foggy at 4:40am. Ran there with no problems. Got there 10 minutes before class. Legs a little sore because, darn, I hate concrete runs. When The Bride told the other ladies in class what I was doing, they , or course thought I was insane..
THE BRIDE
"We'll do alot of stretching after the core stuff"
TRIGUYJT
"God Bless you my dear"
THE BRIDE
"It'll be hard enough"
TRIGUYJT
"The story of my life"

We went thought all moves. The 100's. The rollups. The single legs stretches.. everything. The Bride threw in some nasty plank moves. Very good class. I had plenty of fluids. I had Gatorade and water and was all filled up as class ended. Kissed THE BRIDE goodbye, and took off running. It was misty, cool 7:30am ...just perfect. Legs really were feeling fine after alot of the stretching. But, I struggled on the second 8.9.. Whereas trip #1 was 1 hour 24 minutes,, trip #2 was a rumbling, stumbling 1 hour 34 minutes. Prepped the ice bath and cooled off for about 15 minutes and got ready for work. I will have one more 14-16 mile run before Half-Iron #1 at Morgantown, but on the running, I feel like I have put almost enough hay in the barn. As for biking, thats another story.

Speaking of Core work, like Pilates. The Bride found this link of some outrageous, and innovative ab work. I thought of Rocketpants in Cali who is big into Cross-fit. This might be up your alley. That guy has serious six pack abs. I still got the keg going.

Props to TriEric who is this months coverboy of Ohio Sports and Fitness magazine. Don't mess with That endurance athlete.!!!!!!
Remember my young friend, Kaleb , who will be doing Ironman France real soon at the tender age of 19. He leaves soon for the journey across the Atlantic. He has raised almost 4,000 dollars for cancer research in honor of his deceased grandpa, who succumbed to cancer about 2 years ago. His determination will get him to the finish line. He is an excellent young man.

Thanks to those who emailed ideas for using the Perfect Pushup (previous post). Tea had a good one. The perfect Pushup and the Perfect Pancake are related!!! Thanks..
Wish Monica "TryingtoTri" luck. She hammers her first triathlon in a few days.. Good Luck Monica.!!
Happy training.!!!!!

16 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Dang, your pushing some nice mileage there for a HIM - you'll be MORE than ready.

Oh...and watch out with those sandwhiches, sometimes the meat gets squished. Which would be bad form.

Viv said...

Man, that is a hard core morning while I was still dazed making my way to the coffee!

What a sandwich, I am glad the bride was involved with the the meat part of the sandwich, since that is the core. Get it, core/pilates. Ah fugettabouit...

Wes said...

I just read on Bree Wee's blog about an 18 year old chica who qualified for Kona at Hawaii 70.3 in only her second triathlon. Young peeps rock!!

Dude? Pilates sandwhich? You ARE nuts :-)

Kevin said...

Great job on the pilates sandwich. Thats kinda crazy. You will be so ready for the 70..3

Marcy said...

Dude, all I can say is that you're hardcore. Dang!

Mnowac said...

Thanks JT! You know, I think I may be crazy, b/c I read your post and thought that sounds like a lot of fun! Why would that seem like a lot of fun! Why, why, why. But an almost 19 miler with pilates in the middle sounds great. Nice job. You've inspired me. I think I will try to start running to my gym on Sundays, taking yoga and running home. Only about a 10 mile run though.

Lily on the Road said...

Dang, an extra 10 minutes to get home after a hard work out with the Bride (okay, not that kind of workout!) and her Pilates class, that's pretty good going! You are hardcore!!! LMAO...

Trishie said...

Mmmmm a sandwhich ... (oh was that not the point of this blog?)

jahowie said...

Nice job on that killer workout. You the man!!

I hope that your young friend doesn't wear that jersey over in France.....You know that they are all U of M fans over there. I bet you didn't know that. LOL!! Just kidding....congrats to him...I hope that he does really well.

BreeWee said...

Oh my gosh, that is awesome! Would have loved to join in on that pilates sandwich!!! You are motivating... hope tomorrow you feel recovered and ready for more...

By the way, the Bride, so love what you call her... classic!

AND cheers to your young buddy...hope the race is awesome and fun!

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

phew - that's a workout. Those plank holding moves kill me.
Your half IM will seem easy by comparison!

Formulaic said...

I'm with IronJenny. those planks are killer and then to get up and run another 8.6 home??!!

Hardcore!

Way to go.

Your Half is going to rock!

Unknown said...

running to and from pilates sounds pretty hard core to me. Get it..hard core...abs...okay never mind, there's a reason I can't quit my day job.

Anonymous said...

...hehe...laughing at Lisa's "hard core" joke :)

Okay, triguy, now that's some awesome training there! Way to go!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

That's a heck of a workout! Way to push it out!! Sounds like you are rock-solid ready for the first 1/2 half of the year!

rocketpants said...

That guy's core workouts are crazy! New ideas of what to do with my foam roller. While I *go* to crossfit...for things like hollow-rock tabatas, i more just flop around on the floor like a dead fish (nothing like that video on the crossfit webite!). I'm sure I would lie on the floor in pain if given a pilates workout by The Bride. That workout sounds crazy...but you sound like you are gearing up and getting ready for the big race!!